[Bioperl-pipeline] Bioperl-pipeline

Elia Stupka elia@fugu-sg.org
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:29:06 +0800 (SGT)

> I have no experience with postgres, mysql works great for us. I think
> what Chris pointed out was that postgres allowed certain programmatic
> queries which reduces some latency without having to do multiple
> queries.

Some more info: preamble: Chris Mungall adores it, and I highly respect
Chris's opinion. What it is really good at is providing the ability for
views, e.g. you can look at his bioperl-db schema for postrgres, certain
things like fasta dumping, gff, reverse-complement, are handled at the
*database* level, rather than code level. That is neat.

On the practical side, MySQL has been super-heavily ultra-tested for
ensembl, human genome and the lot, and it performs and behaves
wonderfully, the same cannot be said about Postgres.

On an even more practical note, we are not likely to move now to Postgres
simply because we have no time left for hobby projects. Since at the
moment the focus is on getting things to work for you quickly I would
stick to MySQL. Once we achieve the first aim, and once you feel a
"developer" and not a user, then you are free to take on a discovery-task
of trying out how Postgres can help us ;)

Elia

* http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *
* tel:    +65 6874 1467        *
* mobile: +65 9030 7613        *