[Bioperl-l] Pull request for GitHub Actions on bioperl-live (and possible further devops work)

Zakariyya Mughal zaki.mughal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 19:16:43 EDT 2023

Hello,

I have sent a pull request to update the CI configuration from Travis CI
to GitHub Actions at <https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live/pull/374>.

Further discussion on the pull request can be done there, but I also
wanted to highlight that to get the most out of the CI, this should be
applied to all the repositories in the organisation and this is best
done using a shared configuration that can be updated in a single place.

I have previously done so with Perl Data Language (PDL) and helped make
it easier to install across many platforms (along with the many
dependencies it can use — often via Alien::Build). Furthermore, with
PDL, there is another CI workflow that provides downstream testing so
that regressions are caught early across distributions from a variety of
sources (the same organisation, other users/organisations, on CPAN,
etc.). This should also help with updating the Docker images (in
bioperl-docker).

This should all help with making sure future non-build related changes
continue to work for all users of BioPerl.

I would love to hear y'all's thoughts on this.

Best regards,
- Zaki Mughal

P.S. I have been in the #bioperl IRC channel for a long time, but I just
came across the OBF Slack. With PDL, we have build notifications sent to
the #pdl IRC channel and this makes sure that the devs and users can
follow upcoming changes and immediately see new issues. Perhaps
notifications could be used with Slack in a separate BioPerl channel if
others are interested.