[Bioperl-l] Bioperl install instructions (package managers, minimum version, and perlbrew)

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:35:15 UTC 2017

I had a series of users that were having problems installing bioperl.
These people were on Linux distributions that packaged bioperl but
they were using CPAN because that's what is recommended on the bioperl
website [1].  I now added a section at the top to check their distro
package manager first.

While reading that page, I also noticed the following:

    We also highly recommend (if possible) using a tool like perlbrew
    to locally install a modern version of perl (a version that is
    higher than perl 5.16).

Why this recommendation when the perl requirement is a much lower
version?  Does this not add more complications to the whole process
and cause more confusion to the user which will suddenly see himself
with two versions of perl installed?

Carnë

[1] http://bioperl.org/INSTALL.html