[Bioperl-l] Travis CI build improvements

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 18 09:57:31 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM, Zakariyya Mughal <zaki.mughal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2017-04-17 at 17:02:46 +0000, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
>> More than happy to have you help out.  Can you do this through
>> a pull request (I know these are tested via travis)?  Or would you
>> need direct commit access?
>
> Yes, I can do it all through a pull request. I can also set it up on a
> fork and demonstrate the steps needed to enable the services.

That's how I tinker with Biopython's TravisCI setup (on my fork). It also
means TravisCI usage counts against the individual vs the organisation
account for their load balancing, and you can try out different settings
on other services like the coverage display easily.

> As for the tests that require the network or optional dependencies, it
> is possible to enable different builds conditionally. I believe the best
> approach for the ones that require networking would be to create a
> special branch that enables those tests. This branch can just be rebased
> off the current master branch whenever a new release is uploaded.
>
> Regards,
> - Zakariyya Mughal

That's an interesting idea about running the online tests only on
specific branches. Biopython tries to run our online tests weekly
via buildbot, and this is part of our (time consuming) release
process (final run of full test suite on the release manager's own
machines).

Peter