[Bioperl-l] Problem to install bioperl-1.6.1

Scott Cain scott at scottcain.net
Mon Mar 17 17:31:33 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

A rather odd convention in the Perl community (perhaps elsewhere? I don't
know) is that a version number of 1.006001 is the same as 1.6.1.  I imagine
the advantage of the first way of expressing it is that it is a real
number, so you can use math functions (like < and >) when comparing version
numbers.

Also, I should point out that 1.6.1 is pretty old.  The current version is
1.6.923.

Scott