[Bioperl-l] Modifying Blast plus parameters

Smithies, Russell Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz
Wed Apr 30 19:33:23 UTC 2014

Hi,
I think that may be more a problem of initially determining the correct blast parameters so your query isn't split i.e. maybe increasing gap opening penalties - sounds like a job for discontigious megablast.
To give you some idea of what may be required, these are the parameters we used to run with when we mapped deer reads against cow genome:

   blastn -task dc-megablast -template_length 21 -template_type coding_and_optimal -word_size 11 -penalty -3 -reward 2 -gapopen 5 -gapextend 2 -min_raw_gapped_score 56

With the old-style blast, we used this for cross-species mapping of sheep reads against cow genome:

   megablast -t21 -W 11 -q -3 -r 2 -G 5 -E 2 -s 56 -N 2 -F "m D" -U T

These options are from projects 5 years old so may no longer be applicable with the current blast+ but you still can't just run blast without tweaking parameters as you'll never get what you're after :-)
Take a look thru the (slightly old) manual: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1763/

--Russell