[Bioperl-l] Writing and retrieving Genbank files from BioSQL

Roy Chaudhuri roy.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:58:41 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

Just found your message on the Google group.

I think the correct way to deal with this would be to modify the BioSQL
schema to include columns for is_circular and molecule type in the
bioentry table.

However, if the BioSQL schema is considered immutable, a workaround
would be for BioPerl, BioPython etc. to agree on a standard way of
storing the information in the existing BioSQL schema.

I'd suggest we do this with two annotation tags:
"is_circular", with a value of BioPerl $seq->is_circular (1 or NULL)
"molecule", with a value of BioPerl $seq->molecule (DNA, RNA etc.)

Once a sequence is removed from the database, these annotation tags
could be removed and put in the correct place in the BioPerl/BioPython
object model.

Cheers,
Roy.