[Bioperl-l] bioperl on CentOS 6.4

Leon Timmermans l.m.timmermans at students.uu.nl
Sat Nov 23 11:49:16 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Fields, Christopher J <
cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Ah, this is the piece I was missing.  This looks like a problem with the
> local perl CPAN configuration; these lines are the clue:
>
> Package seems to come without Makefile.PL
> (The test -f "/root/.cpan/build/CJFIELDS-T5oDhJ/Makefile.PL” returned
> false.)
>
> We use Module::Build, not Extutil::MakeMaker; this is why there is no
> Makefile.PL.  I can try looking into what may be going on; maybe try
> installing Module::Build to see if that addresses the problem?  There may
> be an RPM for it, though it normally come with perl core.

The other clue is this line: "Writing one on our own (setting NAME to
BioPerl)". If it can't find an install tool, CPAN.pm writes a tiny
MakeMaker.PL as a fallback. This pretty much should only happen on ancient
CPAN.pm versions. CentOS 6.4 ships with perl 5.10.1, which is not that
ancient, however the default install doesn't include cpan.

Leon