[Bioperl-l] bioperl on CentOS 6.4

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 20 18:03:40 UTC 2013

Re: Test::Most, you only need this if you intend on testing the distribution.  If so, you will need to build it; it is a convenience module that encompasses all the various Test::* modules we use (Test::More, Test::Warn, etc.)

We have a number of users using either CentOS/RHEL (we have both Debian and CentOS/RHEL locally).  In general we avoid messing with the system (RHEL-specific) perl when possible, in preference for installing a local perl version that we can easily update if needed.  This completely depends on your needs of course, but if the intent of using RPMs is to make (un)installation/upgrades easier for perl modules, just want to point out other packaging options like pinto or stratopan (http://perltricks.com/article/48/2013/11/15/A-Stratopan-quick-start-user-guide).  I believe that is thanks to the folks at genentech.

Also, we do intend on splitting out modules with dependencies so this process will become a little easier hopefully, but I only have so much time I can invest these days towards this end.  So, any help is greatly appreciated.

-c