[Bioperl-l] Stratopan as a strategy for reproducible code

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Fri Nov 15 03:05:07 UTC 2013

David Mertens writes:
 > Hey all -
 >
 > I wanted to draw everyone's attention to Stratopan.com. It is a new
 > website/cloud service run by Jeffrey Thalhammer, author of Perl::Critic. It
 > is a publicly available instance of Pinto, which essentially lets you
 > create your own mini-CPAN.
 > [...]

I'll chime in with support for Jeff, Pinto and Stratopan.  I funded
Jeff's initial Pinto work at Genentech and was quite happy with the
result.  It's gotten steadily better since then.  Give Stratopan a
whirl or set up your own Pinto if you have to live behind a veil of
secrecy.  I'm sure that Jeff would be happy to hear about where it's
working and where it's not quite right for your needs.

Pinto is *way* more than just a mini-cpan though, it gives you easy
tools for blending in your own DarkPAN code, for pinning particular
versions of things that are special to you, etc....

Three cheers for the CPAN toolchain and the folks who are working to
make it even better!