[Bioperl-l] Problem Parsing BLAST output to annotate FASTA file

Ann Gregory anngregory at email.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 20 05:20:41 UTC 2013

Hi BioPerl,

I am having issues with a BioPerl script. I have a blastxml file from a
blastx blast and the original multifasta file containing the original
nucleotides sequences.

I want to take the blast result (ie. the blast description) and annotate my
multifasta file.

I have written 2 while loops that extract the blast descriptions as well as
the nucleotide sequence from the multifasta file.

My problem is that I cannot incorporate one of the while loops into the
other without loosing the loop property of one of the loops. I would like
to take the 1st blast description, then the 1st nucleotide sequence, then
the 2nd blast description, then the 2nd nucleotide sequence and so
on...just can figure out how to alternate the results.

See script below:

use warnings;
use strict;
use Bio::SearchIO;
use Bio::SeqIO;

my $search_in = Bio::SearchIO->new(-format => 'blastxml', -file =>
"$ARGV[0]");
while (my $result = $search_in->next_result) {
while (my $hit = $result->next_hit) {
while (my $hsp = $hit->next_hsp) {
my $qd = $hit->description;
print $qd, "\n";
}
}
}

my $seqio = Bio::SeqIO->new(-format => 'fasta', -file => "$ARGV[1]");
while (my $seqobj = $seqio->next_seq) {
my $nuc = $seqobj->seq();
print $nuc, "\n";
}--
Ann (Nina) Gregory
Graduate Student
Rich Lab / Sullivan Lab
Soil, Water, Environmental Science Department
University of Arizona