[Bioperl-l] dependencies on perl version

Leon Timmermans l.m.timmermans at students.uu.nl
Wed Feb 6 04:11:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 4:32 AM, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at drycafe.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know what Ubuntu uses?

5.14.2, distrowatch is your friend ;-)

> I've heard lots of other old version problems with CentOS.

I know people who still use CentOS 4 in production :-|

> 8 years is really old, and at some point I fear that weighing backwards compatibility too much just holds us back in a real detrimental way.

CentOS 5 is 6 years old (and will be supported another 4), but CentOS
6 is 'only' 19 months. perl missing a release in the 5.8-5.10
timeframe combined with an unfortunate alignment of its release
schedule with Red Hat's don't do us any favors here.

Leon