[Bioperl-l] [Root-l] Redmine server down

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Sat Aug 17 04:28:59 UTC 2013

On Aug 16, 2013, at 6:19 PM, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at drycafe.net> wrote:

> On Aug 16, 2013, at 1:52 PM, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
>
>> I'm beginning to think the same re: transitioning to GitHub Issues, but there isn't real advantage to expending time on this unless everyone currently using redmine is on board with a move.
>
> I am. IMO, there already wasn't a terrible amount of logic justification behind putting our most limited resource (volunteer time of skilled developers) into maintaining an issue tracker that lives separate and not well integrated from our source code repositories, and of which we are only using those features already well (and possibly better) represented by the Github tracker, which on the other hand is well integrated with the repos, and requires zero sysadmin effort from us. If other OBF member projects are now transitioning to the Github tracker, keeping our own Redmine for BioPerl alone makes even less sense.
>
> 	-hilmar

Hilmar,

I agree.  So it's clear, I have no problem with a migration (or simply switching) to using Github issues, but this kind of goes beyond just BioPerl/Biopython/Bioruby.

My implied point re: 'having everyone on board' is that it isn't as simple as shutting the redmine tracker down.  What about the other projects on there (e.g. is Biojava doing the same)?  And do we migrate our bugs over, or just leave Redmine running as read-only and leave the old bugs there (the latter appears to be happening with Biopython and Bioruby)?

Hindsight is always 20/20. Just so there isn't any confusion as to why the original choice for Redmine was made:

The problem that led to that migration, as I recall it, was the original OBF Bugzilla server had started to fail (that was also the CVS/SVN server, which also precipitated migration to Github for numerous projects).  That was considered an opportunity to switch to something else.  Redmine was a suggested option; I can't recall who, but I believe it was mentioned based on having Bugzilla's features in addition to additional options that Bugzilla didn't (including better code integration).

Well-tested Tools already existed to convert Bugzilla -> Redmine.  It was pretty easy to do (I would know, I did it).  In comparison, a migration to Github issues was not nearly as clean; we should recall Github Issues didn't have as many features at that point in time (these now mainly exist, such as tags, etc).  They have come a *LONG* way since then.

Anyway, as there wasn't much in the way of time to do this and Chris. D had an Amazon AMI ready to go (the decision was also made to go w/ Amazon), we just pulled the switch and migrated everything out of Bugzilla.  Ah well.

chris