[Bioperl-l] More job spam: Gladstone Institutes at UCSF

Thomas Sharpton thomas.sharpton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 20:26:26 UTC 2012

Dear BioPerlers,

My postdoctoral advisor - Dr. Katherine Pollard - and I are looking for a
talented bioinformatician to join her group at the Gladstone Institutes at
the University of California, San Francisco. Details about the position can
be found via the following link:

http://gladstone.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=35377

I have also pasted the announcement below my signature.

Please free to distribute this announcement.

Best (and sorry for the spam),
Tom

Postdoctoral Fellow
Pollard Lab
Gladstone Institutes at UCSF
-----

The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research
institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF),
contributing to the health and well being of all people through medical
research, education, and outreach in the areas of heart disease, HIV/AIDS,
and neurological disease. Gladstone is composed of three separate
institutes and approximately 350 employees. Our employees receive
exceptional benefits. We are located in an award winning building adjacent
to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus. Gladstone has consistently ranked as one of
the top places to work in academia in the United States. The Gladstone
Bioinformatics group provides an active environment for developing
solutions from experimental design to analysis and visualization.

** **

Job Description:

We are recruiting a staff scientist to support the bioinformatics needs at
Gladstone.  Main duties will involve developing and maintaining scientific
databases and performing data analysis of large-scale genomic data. Primary
projects will include developing tools for analysis of metagenomics data
(from human body sites and environmental samples) and designing pipelines
for next-generation human genomics and epigenomics research. The candidate
will interact with labs spanning all Gladstone Institutes.

** **

Requirements:

The candidate should have a BS/MS in Bioinformatics, Computer Science or
similar field and at least 2 years experience with MySQL or other
relational database software and scripting languages (e.g., Perl, Python,
shell scripting). Experience with analysis of large biological datasets,
including developing pipelines for analysis using a scripting language in a
Linux environment is required. Knowledge of programming languages (e.g.,
Java, C/C++) and best practices is also important. Additional useful
experience includes the ability to work in a distributed computing
environment using a queuing system such as SGE or PBS and a demonstrated
ability to create data visualization tools. We need a good communicator who
can work across disciplines, and a self-starter who can work effectively on
projects with long development times.  Please address how your experience
fulfills these requirements in a cover letter and/or resume.****

** **

Candidates with relevant expertise who wish to join Gladstone’s mission of
preventing, treating and curing some of the world’s most relentless
diseases should send their curriculum vitae and contact information for
three references.