[Bioperl-l] Fwd: Bioperl for global alignment

Frank Schwach fs5 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri May 4 16:19:39 UTC 2012

Prasad, did you not get my reply?
Here it is again just to be on the safe side:

Hi Prasad,

have a look at this:
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:AlignIO_and_SimpleAlign#Aligning_multiple_sequences_with_Clustalw.pm_and_TCoffee.pm

The HOWTO pages are a brilliant source of information and starting
points for your own scripts.
The main point here is: Bioperl doesn't do any alignment. It provides
the tools to automate making alignments (or other things) with
third-party software such as ClustalW or TCoffee as described in the
text. You need to install those programs locally and then use Bioperl to
go fetch sequences form your FASTA (or whatever format) sequence files
and run them through the aligner, then use more Bioperl methods to
extract data from the alignments and generate your final results. That
makes it possible, for example, to write a script that extracts every
possible pair of sequences from a FASTA file and run them through
ClustalW, then analyse the results and record the percent identity or
whatever you are interested in and generate a spreadsheet with your
final results, ready to be sent to Nature !!!! Feel free to ask if you
need more help.

Good luck!

Frank

I am Prasad, student of MS in bioinformatics. I am doing my final year
project, and sequence alignment is the part of my project. I am having
nearly 50k sequences and i want to do a pairwise global alignment (NW
alignment). I read the bioperl tutorial. But in that there is no mention
about this. Could you please guide how can i do this type of alignment
using bioperl.
I assure that all the usage is purely for academic.

Looking forward  to hear from you.

Thank you,

Regards,
Prasad MS