[Bioperl-l] Update: call for Google Summer of Code project ideas

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 2 13:54:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Robert Buels <rbuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As kindly pointed out by Reece Hart, the previous email I sent out calling
> for Google Summer of Code project ideas, had the wrong due date for project
> ideas in it.
>
> I actually want them to all be in place by Friday, March 2, which is this
> coming Friday.
>
> == Instructions for Wiki Editing ==
>
> For each of the OBF projects that wants to do GSoC again this year, please:
>
> a.) Update the list of project ideas on your project's GSoC page (BioPython,
> BioPerl, BioRuby, etc).  Add new ones, remove ones that have already been
> done or no longer relevant, etc.
>
> b.) Update the list of project ideas on the main OBF GSoC page
> (http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code) to match.
>
> c.) Let me know via email that you have done so and it's ready for Google to
> peruse.
>
> == end instructions ==
>
> Again, please have the updates done by this Friday (March 2). The number and
> quality of the project ideas are part of the evaluation process for whether
> OBF is accepted as a Summer of Code organization again this year, so let's
> come up with some good ones.  :-)
>
> Rob

Hi all,

I had a quick look at the BioPerl page (partly for inspiration for Biopython
projects), and it doesn't seem to have been updated since the 2011 project
ideas:

http://bioperl.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

Some of those 2011 ideas became actual projects didn't they? If so, can
any of them be continued as a new project for 2012?

Over on the BioSQL mailing list I suggested a combined BioSQL+BioPerl
project idea to support the SQLite schema. Does anyone fancy mentoring
that?

Peter