[Bioperl-l] fetching all alignments from a sam/bam by read header in perl

Abhishek Pratap abhishek.vit at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 06:24:14 UTC 2012

Hi Guys

Reading the doc page for Bio::DB::SAM I see there is a way to fetch reads
by name (read id) but the documentation also says this is slow.(copied
below).  I need to do about 300-500 million look ups and if each one is
costly I wanted to know if there is another slick low level way.  For my
application I would not have feature location just the read name.

-name          Filter on reads with the designated name. Note that
                 this can be a slow operation unless accompanied by
                 the feature location as well.

-Abhi