[Bioperl-l] `get_feature_by_name` not working after migrating to Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store from a Bio::DB::GFF backend

Scott Cain scott at scottcain.net
Wed Feb 1 16:26:36 UTC 2012

Hi Vivek,

I responded to your original email and I suspect you may have missed
it.  I'll copy it below.  Another few things: how does $locus get
populated?  Are you sure what you expect to be there is?

Also, to answer your question about the other bioperl modules you're
using: no, I don't think that's interfering.

Scott

Hello Vivek,

In your GFF3, you don't have any features of class "Gene".  In GFF2,
the class was the text string that started the ninth column, like
this:

chr2   .  gene    30427563    30429139    .   -   .  Gene 35804

where the class would be Gene and the name (also called group) would
be 35804.  Class is not a particularly well defined concept in GFF3,
so the easiest way to restore functionality to your script is to
change the call from this:

 my ($locus_obj) = $gff_dbh->get_feature_by_name('Gene' => $locus);

to this:

 my ($locus_obj) = $gff_dbh->get_features_by_name(-name => $locus,
-type => 'gene');

I believe (though haven't tested it myself in a very long time) that
you can embed class in the name of the feature, like this:

chr2  .  gene    30427563    30429139    .   -   .  Name=Gene:Medtr2g097580

which may or may not be easier, depending on your data and your code base.

Scott