[Bioperl-l] genbank parsing of multiple 'function' tags within primary tag

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 8 16:51:22 UTC 2011

There is no need to do that if one is using the Bio::SeqFeatureI interface.  Note that get_tag_values always returns a list, so to snag a single value for a tag in a scalar, force list context on the LHS by enclosing the variable in ().

chris

-----------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env perl

use Modern::Perl;
use Bio::SeqIO;

my $in = Bio::SeqIO->new(-format => 'genbank',
                         -file => shift);

while (my $seq = $in->next_seq) {
   for my $feat ($seq->get_SeqFeatures) {
       next unless $feat->primary_tag eq 'CDS';
       my ($locus) = $feat->has_tag('locus_tag') ?
                     $feat->get_tag_values('locus_tag') : '';
       my @funcs = $feat->has_tag('function') ?
           $feat->get_tag_values('function') : ();
       say join("\t", $locus, join(',', at funcs));
   }
}