[Bioperl-l] Interest in Bio::Community modules

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Nov 28 19:47:10 UTC 2011

I think the idea is sound, it would be nice to have.  Jason is working a bit in this area, maybe he has some additional thoughts?  Would there be some redundancy with any current code (Bio::Tree, Bio::Taxon, etc)?  I do think it should be developed on it's own, per our recent discussions re: slimming down core.

Re: using Moose and BioPerl, from experience it's a little tricky integrating the two as BioPerl uses perl's simple OO system while Moose allows much more (though it has it's own issues, memory and speed being the top two).  Specifying inheritance from a BioPerl module is a bit trickier, you'll have to wrap the module via MooseX::NonMoose.  Beyond that, I think if you stick with using is-a/has-a based relations for the time being when defining interactions with other BioPerl modules you'll be fine.

chris