[Bioperl-l] GSoC BioPerl Project Page

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon May 23 15:15:26 UTC 2011

Well, BioPerl was initially designed (with the various pluggable IO systems and interfaces) to accommodate this, so one could have focused packages (for instance, on RNA structural analysis, NGS, etc).  That has always been in place, but the standard practice has been to drop everything into the main repo, which isn't tenable long-term.  In fact, what has occurred in a number of cases is circular dependencies that will have to be teased apart, and some (possibly bad/unoptimized) code can become entrenched and hard to remove.

I'm not sure why this never became a standard practice; I have a feeling it was just easier on the developers to have everything in one place. I'm just as guilty as everyone else though.

Anyway, I just conversed with Pjotr Prins re: BioRuby's plugin work, and judging on the BioRuby plugin design we're probably going to go even further, in that some previously core components (Map, Coordinate, Cluster) may be pulled into their own repos as they are pretty self-contained and mainly rely on simpler core components.  We'll see how Sheena approaches it :)

chris