[Bioperl-l] medperl, something kinda like bioperl

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 31 23:46:54 UTC 2011

Hi Spiros,

This is a fine idea.  My most important piece of advice is to keep the
code loosely coupled and flexible.

Don't try to make big monolithic distributions like Bioperl.  Keep the
code as loosely-coupled as possible: think carefully before making
something be a subclass of something else, or have some other kind of
direct dependency upon it.  Things change.  Coding practices change.
Technology changes too, both on the bio/med side, *and* on the code side.

For the project to stay healthy for the long haul, it needs to stay easy
for people to wrap their minds around the codebase, and then work on it:
developers need to be able to focus their efforts on the code that they
are interested in without having to worry about huge amounts of other
code.  For this to be possible, the various parts of the codebase need
to stay organized and compartmentalized, with minimal,
well-characterized dependency relationships between them.

Good luck!

Rob