[Bioperl-l] nucleotide changes along tree

Gregory Jordan greg at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 14:21:58 UTC 2011

Hi Nicholas,

PAML is the de facto standard for ancestral reconstruction of DNA
sequences. http://abacus.gene.ucl.ac.uk/software/paml.html

<http://abacus.gene.ucl.ac.uk/software/paml.html>BioPerl contains a
Bio::Tools::Phylo::PAML module for running PAML and parsing the output.
There's a how-to (http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:PAML) and documentation
on the specific methods to access ancestral state reconstructions (
http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-current/bioperl-live/Bio/Tools/Phylo/PAML/Result.html#Synopsis)
.

If you're just doing a one-off run and don't need to automate things, you
may be better off running PAML on its own. Extensive documentation is
available from the PAML site (first link above).

Cheers,
 Greg