[Bioperl-l] Batch processing of Data

Boddu, Jayanand jboddu at illinois.edu
Fri Dec 9 19:59:39 UTC 2011

Hi Anyone:
Please let me know if the following is practical with PERL.
My data output can be described as following.

1.       Hundreds of samples are run.

2.       A batch output sends data from each sample to its own "folder". Output is in the form of few text files, spreadsheets and PDF files.

3.       One of the spreadsheet has the data of most interest.

4.       This means I end up having hundreds of folders.

5.       The spreadsheet with the data has multiple worksheets out of which a couple have the interesting data to be processed (Please find attached a spreadsheet output in which the data is organized and the worksheets of my interest are named as "Compound" and "Peak". Yellow high-lighted columns in each worksheet has the data to be processed).
OK. That's long description.
NOW. Is it practical to write a PERL/or any script to;

1.       Enter each folder.

2.       Look for the spreadsheet of interest.

3.       Look for worksheets named "Compound" and "Peak".

4.       Look for the specific columns of interest.

5.       Copy paste the columns of interest into a new spreadsheet/text file with data from each folder next to each other.

This final spreadsheet will pass through a bunch of other calculations.

I apologize for this long and painful description.
However, it would be great if this can be done.
Thanks
Jay