[Bioperl-l] Chromosome coordinates

Scott Cain scott at scottcain.net
Thu Dec 1 16:59:56 UTC 2011

Hi Jay,

Since the maize GFF file is likely to be fairly large, I would consider
putting it in a database, using either Bio::DB::GFF if it is GFF2 or
Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store if it is gff3.  Then you can use the methods
that come along with either of those modules to search regions for for
genes.  They both support a get_features_by_location method, so you could
get the range for each of the regions you want to look at, and check the
database with that method to see if anything is there.

Scott