[Bioperl-l] Bio::SeqIO can't guess the format of data from a pipe

J.J. Emerson jj.emerson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 18:52:48 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,

You asked:

My question (not a criticism, just trying to understand the problem): why
> are you going through all the trouble of using GuessSeqFormat as a permanent
> solution anyway?  If you have a stream returning a possibly unknown data
> type, I would argue that the fundamental bug is not GuessSeqFormat but
> something else, more specifically not knowing the behavior of the data
> source and the returned format to begin with.  Is something preventing that?

In my particular case, I'm trying not to impose a particular usage scenario
onto the script I'm writing in the hopes it will be useful (and general) to
others in my lab in the future*. In my proximate case, I will certainly be
able to provide SeqIO with a format argument. But insofar as GuessSeqFormat
is considered desirable (and reasonable people could indeed disagree whether
it is desirable) I think its applicability shouldn't hinge on whether it is
guessing on a pipe or a file.

My point is, GuessSeqFormat is fine as a temporary stop-gap, but it is not a
> permanent solution to your problems (it is guessing, after all).  Note the
> code has had very little development over the years, and the related SeqIO
> code hasn't aged particularly well.

I see. I wasn't aware that GuessSeqFormat was so relatively neglected. Given
the rather challenging nature of the more elegant fix you suggested (using
the buffering of Root:IO), perhaps I should consider dropping my issue or
filing it as a feature request rather than a bug?

Cheers,

J.J.

PS

* The way I plan on using my script is roughly as follows:

prog1 [some arguments] \
| myscript.pl --informat fasta \
| prog2 \
| prog3 > pipeline.output

However, I'd like for the "--informat" switch to be optional, mainly to
increase usability for other users. For any well considered format, the
information is right there in the data to know what the format is, and as
such, providing the format a second time is somewhat redundant. In
principle, being able to do the following would be very useful:

prog1 [some arguments] \
| myscript.pl \
| prog2 > pipeline.output

The modularity of pipelining is very valuable and this is what caused me to
anticipate a usage scenario that involved both GuessSeqFormat and reading
from a pipe.