[Bioperl-l] Genbank file : bad features (tag) order with /translation

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:46:06 UTC 2011

2011/8/3 Maxime Déraspe <maximilien1er at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> when I parse a genbank file no matter what I do, the /
> translation="MKAV.." tag value of a CDS never appear in the last place
> as it should be. Other tags like /note= /product comes after /
> translation which it's not the usual practice with genbank file. Could
> anyone have an idea how to deal with it... put /translation tag value
> in the last place when I write the genbank file.
>
> Thank you !
>
> Max

Hi Max,

I'm not aware of anything in the feature table specification
about the order of the feature qualifiers (the "tags" like /note
and /product). See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/collab/FT/

I suspect BioPerl is using a hash (Biopython uses a dictionary)
for the feature qualifiers, which would discard the order.

Why do you care about the order?

Peter