[Bioperl-l] Job opportunity: User Interface Design and Web Application Developer

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at drycafe.net
Mon Aug 1 22:36:27 UTC 2011

(Apologies if you have received this already or if this is considered
spam - we're trying to reach out as broad as possible and I know that
quite a few in the Bio* communities would be well qualified. Please
feel free to pass on to anyone who might be interested, or might know
someone who is.)

User Interface Design and Web Application Developer

The National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent) seeks a creative
and enthusiastic individual to design user interfaces and web
applications for scientific applications that manage, analyze,
visualize and share data in support of evolutionary research. The
incumbent will work as part of a small informatics team in close
collaboration with domain scientists.

NESCent (http://nescent.org) is an NSF-funded center dedicated to
cross-disciplinary research in evolutionary science. Our informatics
team works closely with visiting and resident scientists to support
their custom software and database development needs (http://informatics.nescent.org
), and collaborates broadly with other biodiversity informatics
projects.  All NESCent software products are open-source, and the
Center has a number of initiatives to actively promote collaborative
development of community software resources. Above all, we are
enthusiastic about our work, about the mission of the Center, and
about the contribution of informatics to that mission.

Job description: The incumbent will design and develop user interfaces
and web applications for databases and other software tools for
sponsored scientists and staff. The job responsibilities include all
stages of the software development process, including requirements
gathering, design, implementation, release packaging and
documentation, as part of a small team (typically 2-3 individuals).
We expect the incumbent to present their work at conferences and
contribute to publications with scientific collaborators; interact
regularly with visiting and resident scientists, other members of the
informatics team and Center staff; and generally serve as an expert
resource for Center personnel. The position provides opportunities for
professional development and encourages research into new
technologies. Most informatics staff work at our Durham NC offices,
located adjacent to Duke University, but we support a wide range of
technologies for virtual communication with off-site staff and
collaborators.

Salary range: $70,000 - $80,000, depending on education and experience

Required Qualifications:
* Demonstrated success collaborating with clients on custom software
solutions
* Experience with various stages of the software development cycle
* Expertise in development and testing of user interface designs
* Excellent communication skills, both virtual and face-to-face

Preferred Qualifications:
* M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or related field
* Demonstrated interest in science, particularly biology
* Expertise in dynamic and interactive web technologies (JavaScript,
CGI)
* Expertise in rapid application development and respective
programming technologies and languages (e.g., modern scripting
languages and web-application frameworks such as Python/Django, Ruby/
Ruby-on-Rails, and Perl/Catalyst).
* Expertise in graphic design
* Expertise in data visualization and/or scientific data integration
* Expertise in software usability design and assessment
* Expertise in web service (SOAP, REST, XML, JSON) and semantic web
technologies
* Fluency in Java programming
* Prior experience in relational database programming  (PostgreSQL or
MySQL)
* Experience with open-source, and collaborative, software development

How to apply: Please send cover letter, resume and contact information
for three references to Dr. Karen Cranston, Training Coordinator and
Bioinformatics Project Manager (karen.cranston at nescent.org);  Please
also complete the online application at the University of North
Carolina HR website: http://bit.ly/r9HQ8r. Informal inquires or
requests for additional information may be directed to Dr. Cranston by
email or phone (+1-919-613-2275). Closing date is August 15, 2011.

: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- hlapp at drycafe dot net :