[Bioperl-l] GSoC/BioPerl Reorganization Project

Sheena Scroggins sheena.scroggins at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 05:17:26 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself as one of the Google Summer of
Code interns. I was the lucky one chosen to work on the BioPerl
Reorganization (*crowd cheers*). I am a grad student in bioinformatics, and
somewhat new to this level of programming so bear with me as I learn the
technical jargon. Luckily I have both Rob and Chris to mentor me this
summer!

Reading through the mailing list archives, I see there have been many
discussion and differing opinions about tackling this project. Given the
time frame for GSoC and my limited experience, there is no way I will
complete this project on my own but I will at least be able to start it,
which will hopefully motivate others to pitch in. So far, the plan for the
GSoC project is to start by breaking out Bio::Root, followed by a couple
other modules based on their dependencies and the time allowed. Each will be
published to CPAN independently. You can follow the project (once it starts)
on github at https://github.com/sheenams.

I look forward to collaborating with many of you on the reorganization (hint
hint)!

Sheena