[Bioperl-l] Metadata file problems installing BioPerl

Mehmet mbelgin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:02:41 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to install BioPerl following the instructions on the wiki page.
I tried both options, and both failed. I will really appreciate your
suggestions.

We are using a linux cluster with RHEL5. I upgraded Perl to 5.12.3 and I
have sudo access (my problems are not related to access permissions)

* WIth the Build.PL method, I am getting:

Could not get valid metadata. Error is: Invalid metadata structure. Errors:
'Perl_5' for 'license' does not have a URL scheme (resources -> license)
(optional_features -> Bio::FeatureIO::gff -> requires) [Validation: 1.2],
Expected a map structure from string or file. (optional_features ->
Bio::WebAgent -> .........

Followed by tons of similar "Expected a map structure from ....." messages.

* With direct cpan install, I get:

  CPAN.pm: Going to build C/CJ/CJFIELDS/BioPerl-run-1.6.1.tar.gz

BioPerl minimal core version 1.006000 is required for BioPerl-run
Warning: No success on command[/panfs/
iw-scratch.pace.gatech.edu/iw.usr.local/packages/perl-5.12.3/bin/perlBuild.PL ]
  CJFIELDS/BioPerl-run-1.6.1.tar.gz
  /panfs/
iw-scratch.pace.gatech.edu/iw.usr.local/packages/perl-5.12.3/bin/perlBuild.PL
 -- NOT OK
Running Build test
  Make had some problems, won't test
Running Build install
  Make had some problems, won't install
Could not read metadata file. Falling back to other methods to determine
prerequisites
Failed during this command:
 CJFIELDS/BioPerl-run-1.6.1.tar.gz            : writemakefile NO '/panfs/
iw-scratch.pace.gatech.edu/iw.usr.local/packages/perl-5.12.3/bin/perlBuild.PL
' returned status 512

Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks a lot in advance!

-Memo

Mehmet Belgin, Ph.D. (mehmet.belgin at oit.gatech.edu)
Scientific Computing Consultant | OIT - Academic and Research Technologies
Georgia Institute of Technology
258 Fourth Street, Rich Building, Room 326
Atlanta, GA  30332-0700
Office: (404) 385-2676