[Bioperl-l] [Announcement] Next BioPerl release

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 11 15:49:09 UTC 2011

All,

Lincoln needs a new BioPerl release to CPAN ASAP to coordinate with the latest GBrowse2 release.  The latest GBrowse2 requires v BioPerl 1.0069, which is what we're using on the master branch to distinguish from the 1.6 branch version (the master branch version meant to designate 'just prior to 1.7').  However, we were planning on designating the next release as 1.6.2 (or, 1.006002), which will not match with GBrowse's requirements.

Instead of asking Lincoln to change GBrowse to reflect that, and b/c this release may be the last one for the 1.6.x series prior to some major work on core this summer, I suggest we go ahead and release the next version as soon as possible and keep the version as 1.0069.  There is very little difference between what is in the 1.6.2 branch and master anyway, and (if things go well) we're planning on a major restructuring of BioPerl over the summer that could effectively be the next major version of BioPerl.

A few things:

1) I am requesting that any work beyond simple doc fixes or small code changes be carried out on a branch of master.  Most of the tests are now passing; please don't break them with a last-minute rush to get code in.  I reserve the right to revert changes if necessary.

2) I will create a new branch, just prior to the release (1.6.9).  The old branch that was previously meant to be 1.6.2 will be removed; it was essentially a very recent branch of master anyway, just with a different version.

3) The only significant blocker to the release at the moment is being worked out on a branch (https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3196).  This should be fixed very soon.

4) If needed the 1.6.9 branch can be used for any future bug fixes; I anticipate this may happen if we need to get a new release out that GBrowse requires.  The version will be bumped to 1.006901, 1.006902, etc. accordingly.

Any questions/feedback on the above?  I will be on #bioperl on IRC (freenode) as well as here.