[Bioperl-l] Generating a consensus sequence from a Clustal alignment

Bill Stephens grapeguy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 19:15:09 UTC 2010

I've got my script running.

In order to support the identification of degenerate primers I had to create
a new method that would alter the IUPAC consensus. We're interested in
15-30bp sections of the consensus with high, but not 100%, conservation. We
would like to have a couple of "slices" with 2-3 mismatches to allow for the
ordering of a variety of primers.

To be completed:

   - I would *love* to hide the Clustal output that is being printed to the
   screen
   - Primer candidate identification (min_primerlength to max_primerlength)
   based on our scoring matrix
   - Primer melting temperature calculation
   - 3' Clamping identification
   - Self complementary primers

This has been a nice change from Java.

Bill

*Code*

assume: I have already read fasta input, performed Clustal align and
obtained the IUPAC consensus

sub getDegenerateConsensusIupac {
    my ($aln, $maxGapPercent, $iupacConsensus, $numSequences) = @_;

  # convert consensus into array
  my @cons = split(//, $iupacConsensus);

  # loop over the alignment "columns"
  foreach my $position ( 1 .. $aln->length() ) {
      my $consCode = $cons[$position-1];
      my %slice = getSliceHash($aln, $position);

      my $out = _applyGapPercentToConsensus ($maxGapPercent, $consCode,
$numSequences, %slice);

      # Convert consensus value new value
      if ($out ne $consCode) {
          $cons[$position-1] = $out;
      }
  }

  #rebuild consensus
  my $degenerateConsensus = join '', @cons;

  return $degenerateConsensus;
}

sub _applyGapPercentToConsensus {
    my ($maxGapPercent, $consCode, $numSequences, %slice) = @_;

        my $gapCount = $slice{'.'};

        # no gaps!
        if ($gapCount !~ /\d/) {
            return $consCode;
        }

        my $pctGap = ($gapCount / $numSequences) * 100;

        if ($pctGap > $maxGapPercent) {
            if ($consCode =~ /[A-Z]/) {
                return lc $consCode;
            }
            if ($consCode =~ /[a-z]/) {
                return '.';
            }
        }

    return $consCode;
}

sub getSliceHash{
    my ($aln, $position) = @_;

    my %sliceHash;
    foreach my $seq ($aln->each_seq) {
        my $res = $seq->subseq($position, $position);
        $sliceHash{$res}++;
    }

    return %sliceHash;
}