[Bioperl-l] Please update /Changes as you commit things

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue May 18 15:31:14 UTC 2010

On May 18, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Jay Hannah wrote:

> Hi Florent,
>
> Can you add a line to the /Changes please? New features are especially great to add to that file.  :)
>
> If we all add to /Changes every time we do anything significant then whoever does the next release has less work to do and CPAN pushes can become less painful, more frequent.

Agreed (or, +1, depending on your taste).  Also, I would really like to break the habit of committing everything straight to trunk and promote using branches more.  Branches are cheap.

Something like:

# on master
git checkout -b 'topic/feature_foo'

# switches over to branch 'topic/feature_foo'
# hack hack hack
# make commits
# add tests
# add to Changes
# make more commits
# push to remote branch

# merge to master
git checkout master
git merge 'topic/feature_foo'

# test test test, etc, push to origin

or similar. Of course, there would be more to it (handling merge conflicts, etc), just need to get a decent workflow document started up.  Ah tuits, where are you?

> You also might want to set your git config so your email is valid in your commits. e.g.:
>
>   $ git config user.name "Jay Hannah"
>   $ git config user.email jay at jays.net
>   (these end up in ~/.gitconfig)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jay Hannah
> http://biodoc.ist.unomaha.edu/wiki/User:Jhannah

I think these are only set there if you use --global, correct?  Otherwise it's repo-specific, would be in .git/ somewhere.