[Bioperl-l] git branches, tags, 'topic/bug_####'

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu May 13 16:01:05 UTC 2010

On May 13, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> On May 13, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Chris Fields wrote:
>> Saying that, we could adopt a workflow policy that allows deletion of any merged branch.  All this suggests coming up with a good 'Contributing' document.
>
> That would be highly useful. I'll also voice a word of caution here though - I find it kind of ironic that the switch to git, which is supposed to make contribution *easier*, very often leads subsequently to complex commit/pull/push/branching workflows being instituted for projects that take pages and pages to document, a lot of time to ingest, and discipline to follow - it seems to be very easy and tempting to go overboard with this.

I'm happy to comply with whatever the policy is. If that policy is "everything trivial in master, non-trivial in topic/FOO, release manager will figure out everything else" that's fine with me.

A branch cleanup would be nice. Or I'll just close my eyes.   :)

I'm embarrassed that I left unfinished business in branches in 2009. I'm fishing for a consensus on a contribution policy.

Jay Hannah
http://biodoc.ist.unomaha.edu/wiki/User:Jhannah