[Bioperl-l] git branches, tags, 'topic/bug_####'

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu May 13 12:42:41 UTC 2010

------- Comment #3 from cjfields at bioperl.org  2010-05-12 23:28 EST -------
> Ouch, that's a bit nasty.  Taking advantage of git move and doing this on a
> topic branch (topic/bug_3077) on github.

I plan on cleaning up the 'jhannah' branch (renaming it 'topic/bug_2515', asking people for their input, merging to master).

I plan on cleaning up the 'yapc10hackathon' branch. I can't remember what Robert and I left in there after YAPC last year.

Should most of the other branches be deleted? If a branch hasn't been changed in more than a year and no one intends to jump into it in the coming year what purpose does it serve? Old tags can hang out forever, but shouldn't our branch list be tidy? (Specifically I would argue that old release number tags should hang out forever, but I don't see the point in any other ancient tags continuing to exist if their purpose isn't documented anywhere.)

Are we serious about emulating this branching model?

   http://nvie.com/git-model

If so then we need to create a 'develop' branch and only the release manager should touch 'master' and yahoos like me should be branching off of 'develop' instead, right?

Counter argument:  Since 'master' is the default branch and we want to encourage doc patches and typo corrections from the world making trivial contributions as easy as possible for everyone, I would think that using 'master' as the daily headstream would be better. So 'topic/bug_####' for each non-trivial Bugzilla ticket, and release managers can work their magic in 'release-#-#' branches. (Release branches old enough that there's no way we're going to patch them any more are deleted, and only the tag remains).

Thoughts?

Jay Hannah
http://biodoc.ist.unomaha.edu/wiki/User:Jhannah

P.S.  My "up to date" OS X 10.6.3 machines both had git 1.5.3.1 on them. Upgrading to git 1.7.1 makes branch checkouts simpler.

jhannah at minijaysnet~/src/bioperl-live$ git branch -a
* master
  remotes/origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  remotes/origin/TRY_featureio_refactor
  remotes/origin/TRY_gff_refactor
  remotes/origin/TRY_locatableseq_refactor
  remotes/origin/anydbm-branch
  remotes/origin/bioperl
  remotes/origin/bioperl-branch-1-5-1
  remotes/origin/bioperl-live
  remotes/origin/branch-06
  remotes/origin/branch-07
  remotes/origin/branch-07-ensembl-120
  remotes/origin/branch-1-0-0
  remotes/origin/branch-1-2
  remotes/origin/branch-1-2-collection
  remotes/origin/branch-1-4
  remotes/origin/branch-1-5-2
  remotes/origin/branch-1-6
  remotes/origin/branch-ensembl-m1
  remotes/origin/branch-experimental
  remotes/origin/featann_rollback
  remotes/origin/internal-branch-pre-delete-06-tag
  remotes/origin/jhannah
  remotes/origin/lightweight_feature_branch
  remotes/origin/master
  remotes/origin/ontology-cache
  remotes/origin/release-0-04-bug
  remotes/origin/restriction-refactor
  remotes/origin/stable-0-05
  remotes/origin/stable-0-05-new
  remotes/origin/steve_chervitz
  remotes/origin/topic/bug_3077
  remotes/origin/yapc10hackathon
jhannah at minijaysnet~/src/bioperl-live$ git tag
after-05-06-merge
after-05-06-merge-2
after004
before-05-to-06-merge