[Bioperl-l] Bio-Perl and multiple cores of CPU

polsum sumanth41277 at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 21:34:53 UTC 2010

Hi - We have a pretty powerful computer with Dual-Quadcore intel Xeon w5580
prcoessor with 24 GB ram. When I use Bioperl programs for routine operations
like Blastn and blast parsing etc. the programs dont seem to utilize the
computer power to the fullest. I mean they just use one of the 8 cores and
only 8GB of RAM. Is there a way to ask Perl to use all the available power?
I have 64 bit windows and 64 bit Ubuntu and Ubuntu is definitely faster but
still it also doesnt use entire cores of the cpu.

thanks in advance