[Bioperl-l] Smoke test aggregator - Buildbot + Smolder ?

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Wed May 5 21:40:46 UTC 2010

> Presumably BioPerl and Moose and more self-contained (unless external deps are explicitly enabled), so perhaps historical smoking would work fairly well.

Very few of BioPerl's tests rely on outside servers, and those that do have to be turned on explicitly with a network-tests flag. So hopefully that won't be an issue.

> In Moose land the request is that I smoke not only Moose, but everything on CPAN that *depends on Moose*:
> [...]
> While exciting, I don't think that concept translates to the BioPerl monolith.

Agreed, not really. Except for some of the GMOD stuff. And anyway this could always be done later if desired. Probably much later. :)

> Whoever wanted to could report into our central Smolder server using their architectures + perl versions. A volunteer would just install Smolder from CPAN and run this in their bioperl-live directory:
>
> prove -I . --recurse --archive test_run.tar.gz
> smolder_smoke_signal --server smolder.jays.net \
>   --username MyUserName --password MyPass \
>   --file test_run.tar.gz --project bioperl-live --tags trunk

Would the reporter need to have any special setup to do this?

Could this kind of reporting be written into the BioPerl Build.PL as a user-settable option (just like the options for installing scripts or running network tests)?

If so, then we could get lots of feedback on trunk (master) commits and not just releases.

Dave