[Bioperl-l] Fwd: [Utilities-announce] NCBI Revised E-utility Usage Policy

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 24 14:37:13 UTC 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Peter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is probably of interest to all the Bio* projects offering access
> to the NCBI
> Entrez utilities. See forwarded message below.
>
> I *think* the new guidelines basically say that the email & tool parameters are
> optional BUT if your IP address ever gets banned for excessive use you then
> have to register an email & tool combination.
>
> Regarding the email address, the NCBI say to use the email of the developer
> (not the end user). However, they do not distinguish between the developers
> of a library (like us), and the developers of an application or script using a
> library (who may also be the end user).
>
> Currently we (Biopython) and I think BioPerl ask developers using our libraries
> to populate the email address themselves. I *think* this is still the
> right action.
>
> Peter

Basically, that's the same tactic I'm going with with Bio::DB::EUtilities (and I think with the SOAP-based ones as well).  We're providing a specific set of tools for user to write up their own applications end applications.  I can try contacting them regarding this to get an official response to clarify this somewhat.

Re: the tool parameter, we currently set the tool itself to 'BioPerl' as a default, but always leave the email blank and issue a warning if it isn't set.  We could just as easily leave both blank and issue warnings for both.