[Bioperl-l] getting strand from Bio::Align::AlignI ??

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Mon Mar 15 17:11:27 UTC 2010

Did you start with  Bio::SearchIO object and call get_aln on the HSP
object?  Strand is available from the $hsp->query->strand and
$hsp->hit->strand and Bio::SearchIO is the preferred way of parsing
pairwise alignment reports.

Either way the sequences themselves have strands not the alignment.

Each sequence should have a strand $seq->strand since they are
Bio::LocatableSeq objects.

for my $seq ( $aln->each_seq ) {
  print $seq->id, " ", $seq->strand, "\n";
}

-jason