[Bioperl-l] Newbie question: getting latest version and keeping up to date

David B david.breimann at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 06:47:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about what is the best way to install and maintain
the latest updates for bio perl (I'm working on linux). "Installing
Bioperl for Unix" (http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/
Installing_Bioperl_for_Unix) suggests using Build.PL or CPAN, but then
again I also know that bioperl is currently developed using github
(although I know very little about github).

1. Is installing from github an alternative to Build.pL/CPAN options?
2. Does installing from github simply mean cloning than adding the
path to PERL5LIB? That's it?
3. I want to use bp_genbank2gff3.pl for circular genomes and I was
told I'd better use the developers release of bioperl because only it
handles circular genomes correctly. Does it mean I need to clone ...-
dev instead of -live and replace the path accordingly?

Thanks,
David