[Bioperl-l] Recoding Bio::SimpleAlign

Jun Yin jun.yin at ucd.ie
Mon Jul 19 10:43:50 UTC 2010

Hi,

Thx for all your comments.

1. About each_seq(each_Seq)
As Chris Fields says, we tend to capitalize the method name which returns
objects. each_Seq actually returns a list of Bio::LocatableSeq objects, so
it is better to use a capitalized name as each_Seq.
But as Hilmar Lapp mentioned, each_XXX is not a clear name either, because
it may be confused with the each() function in Core. So it may need to be
renamed to next_Seq eventually.

Usually, what I do for the old method is:

sub each_seq {
    my $self = shift;
    $self->deprecated("each_seq - deprecated method. Use each_Seq()
instead.");
    $self->each_Seq();
}

Thus, if you call the old method, it will still continue to run, but give a
deprecated warning. This is done on all deprecated methods.

2. To Bernd Web, " So the change here is that now the default values are
actually set in new, instead of setting a the default by calling gap_char."

Yes, gap_char has a default value "-" now, so is missing_char "?" and
match_char ".".

3. To Bernd Web and Chris Fields,
remove_redundant_Seqs() is just an alias for purge().
However, splice_by_seq_pos() is reimplemented and merged with the old
remove_gaps(), because these two methods are actually doing similar things.
The new remove_gaps() is:

Title     : remove_gaps
 Usage     : $aln2 = $aln->remove_gaps(-reference=>5)
 Function  : Creates an aligment with gaps removed
 Returns   : a Bio::SimpleAlign object
 Args      : -GAPCHAR a gap character(optional) if none specified taken
                from $self->gap_char,
             -ALLGAPCOL $all_gaps_columns flag (1 or 0, default is 0)
                 indicates that only all-gaps columns should be deleted
             -REFERENCE splices all aligned sequences where the specified
                 sequence has gaps.

If you call the old splice_by_seq_pos(), it will be redirected to
remove_gaps() by:
sub splice_by_seq_pos{
    my $self = shift;
    $self->deprecated("splice_by_seq_pos - deprecated method. Use
remove_gaps() instead.");
    $self->remove_gaps(-reference=>$_[0]);
}

When I finally finish the recoding for Bio::SimpleAlign, I will write an
online HOWTO.
Plus, I think I will include an update log, to show which method is renamed
and which is reimplemented, thus to make things clearer.

Cheers,
Jun Yin
Ph.D. student in U.C.D.

Bioinformatics Laboratory