[Bioperl-l] Job opening at Eagle

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Mon Jul 5 10:06:56 UTC 2010

Hi all - thought this might be of interest to you.

====
Eagle Genomics is a young and exciting bioinformatics company looking to revolutionise the way in which industry and academia work together. We are based at the heart of Europe's largest biotech cluster in Cambridge, UK. With a number of exciting new projects on the horizon we're continuing to build up our team of talented and committed experts to help us deliver them. We are currently looking for a top-class developer to work on a wide range of complex projects. The role involves a large element of customer support and so you'll need to be friendly, communicative, and happy to work face-to-face with our customers on a daily basis. You will have had at least 3 years prior experience developing code for bioinformatics projects.

For  this Perl/Ensembl role you will have had extensive experience as a Perl developer and ideally you will have written code or plugins for the Ensembl Genome Browser or used its APIs in your own progams. Extensive experience programming in another language, particularly Java, is a bonus but not essential.

In addition to your superb technical and customer service skills, you will also:
* be able to communicate clearly and proactively,
* have the ability to quickly translate scientific problems into real software solutions,
* be able to put technical concepts into simple language for end users to understand,
* be able to pick up new skills and techniques in record time,
* work well in a collaborative team environment,
* be creative, innovative, and forward-thinking,
* be a self-starter and good at managing your own workload and responsibilities.

You will also have had hands-on experience in at least two of the following:
* SQL query design,
* Open-source bioinformatics toolkits such as BioPerl, BioMart, BioSQL, etc.,
* Amazon EC2,
* VMware,
* Workflow/pipeline design (preferably using eHive or Taverna),
* System and user documentation,
* Developing and presenting training courses for users and developers.

The successful candidate would be expected to work from our offices near Cambridge. We offer a competitive salary and a range of company benefits.

To apply, please send your CV and cover letter as PDF documents to jobs at eaglegenomics.com. We are only able to offer positions to EEA citizens and permanent residents, or existing holders of UK Tier 1 migrant visas. The closing date is 23rd July.
====

cheers,
Richard

--
Richard Holland, BSc MBCS
Operations and Delivery Director, Eagle Genomics Ltd
T: +44 (0)1223 654481 ext 3 | E: holland at eaglegenomics.com
http://www.eaglegenomics.com/