[Bioperl-l] fastq index

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 29 20:28:08 UTC 2010

On Dec 29, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Davis, Caleb F wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Retrieving fastq from an index with bio::index::fastq is not working for me. I try using the index creation and retrieval code as given here:
> http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-current/bioperl-live/Bio/Index/Fastq.html
> using the fastq sequence given here:
> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/FASTQ_sequence_format
> but I get this error:
> ------------- EXCEPTION: Bio::Root::Exception -------------
> MSG: NCYC361-11a03.q1k bases 1 to 1576 doesn't match fastq descriptor line type
> STACK: Error::throw
> STACK: Bio::Root::Root::throw /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Bio/Root/Root.pm:357
> STACK: Bio::SeqIO::fastq::next_seq /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Bio/SeqIO/fastq.pm:113
> STACK: Bio::Index::AbstractSeq::fetch /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Bio/Index/AbstractSeq.pm:134
> STACK: fetch_fastq_test.pl:11
>
> The only other report of this behavior I could find is here:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general/17836
>
> I get the same behavior when I use my own code and sequence. I hope I provided enough information. Sadly, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
>
> --Caleb

Caleb,

Make sure you are using the latest BioPerl release via CPAN, or via github; the line number and error message don't correspond to the latest version.  If the problem persists, you may need to file a bug report for this with some example data and a script, or at least show some example data that is triggering the problem.

I believe the current indexing scheme used for FASTQ isn't up-to-date with the current parser (which underwent a complete refactoring a while back), so this would help tremendously, but it should be fairly easy to add proper indexing to this.  Jason and I briefly talked about FASTQ parsing a few months back in relation to speed of parsing, it could be much faster (my main concern initially was that it was correct).