[Bioperl-l] Enquiry on Bio::DB::Taxonomy

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Sun Aug 22 18:29:30 UTC 2010

Hi Amali -

This is how I'd print out the full classification by using the Tree
methods (with probably a different way of initializing the $db object to
your flatfiles location).

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use Bio::DB::Taxonomy;

my $db= Bio::DB::Taxonomy->new(-source => 'flatfile',
                    -nodesfile => 'taxonomy/nodes.dmp',
                    -namesfile => 'taxonomy/names.dmp');

my $taxonid = $db->get_taxonid('Homo sapiens');
my $taxon = $db->get_taxon(-taxonid => $taxonid);
my $tree = Bio::Tree::Tree->new(-node => $taxon);
my @taxa = $tree->get_nodes;
print join(",", map { $_->scientific_name } @taxa), "\n";

-jason