[Bioperl-l] Bio::LocatableSeq end checking inconsistency

Jun Yin jun.yin at ucd.ie
Fri Aug 20 16:17:33 UTC 2010

Hi, Bernd,

Thx for your input.

Yes, this is one of the old bugs in Bio::SimpleAlign.  $aln->slice just
simply $slice_seq =~ s/\W//g to calculate the ungapped length.
But in  $seq->_ungapped_len, this method use $string =~
s{[$GAP_SYMBOLS$FRAMESHIFT_SYMBOLS]+}{}g;
Which is '\-\.=~\\\/ ' to calculate the ungapped length.

To solve this problem, first, now I use
$nonres = join("",$self->gap_char, $self->match_char,$self->missing_char);
Which is '-\.&' to remove the non-residue chars in the alignment sequence
(though if you use '=','~','\','/' will also cause problems).

Secondly, I have merged slice, remove_columns and remove_gaps, using the
same internal function. Thus it is easier to debug.

These changes will be merged into main BioPerl branch after next version.

But anyway, the confict is still there, because the non residue chars are
defined as:
In Bio::SimpleAlign, $aln->gap_char, $aln->missing_char, $aln->match_char
In Bio::LocatableSeq
$GAP_SYMBOLS = '\-\.=~';
$FRAMESHIFT_SYMBOLS = '\\\/';

so try to use '-' or '.' for your gap char at the moment, otherwise you may
encounter end warnings in calculation.

And, if you want to keep gap only sequences, you can call the method as:
$aln2 = $aln->slice(20,30,1)
The last parameter is to keep gap only sequence.

Cheers,
Jun Yin
Ph.D. student in U.C.D.

Bioinformatics Laboratory