[Bioperl-l] DB_File dependency and ActiveState 5.10

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Thu Sep 24 14:17:26 UTC 2009

Gurus of a db stripe:

ActiveState 5.10 has such a problem with BDB that it
disables their ppm build of the DB_File module. I know
what the *ultimate* solution is...however...

I did a quick grep of 'use DB_File' across the trunk, and
it seems there are two categories of dependency--

(1) use of BDB is an option among other dbms
      (e.g., among the  Bio::DB::GFF::Adaptor::)

(2) BDB is the developer's personal choice
    (e.g., possibly Bio::DB::FileCache)

In Bio::DB::Fasta, AnyDBM_File is used to allow the
user a choice. Are there fundamental reasons not to
convert the type (2) dependencies to AnyDBM_File?
I will try to do this (on a branch) if there are no technical
objections. General derision, however, will only goad
me into action-

Thanks,
MAJ