[Bioperl-l] a Main Page proposal

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 23 14:41:14 UTC 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 7:12 AM, Peter wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Dave Messina <David.Messina at sbc.su.se
> > wrote:
>> I think either Chris' version or Mark's earlier, slightly more
>> verbose
>> version would work well and fulfill the goals of reducing clutter
>> and making
>> it easier to find what you're looking for for visitors new and old.
>>
>> I do like the idea of a newsfeed, which summarizes what's been
>> going on
>> lately and let's new users know the project is active. Embedding
>> the BioPerl
>> twitter feed would be an easy solution.
>
> Embedding your news feed would be just as easy:
>
> http://news.open-bio.org/news/category/obf-projects/bioperl/feed/rdf
> http://news.open-bio.org/news/category/obf-projects/bioperl/feed/rss
> http://news.open-bio.org/news/category/obf-projects/bioperl/feed/rss2
> http://news.open-bio.org/news/category/obf-projects/bioperl/feed/atom
>
> Which (news server vs twitter feed) is preferable is down to you guys,
> although for 2009 at least there has been more activity on twitter.
> I'm not sure if you have the news posts re-tweeted or not (the last
> news server post was back in Feb), but Biopython and the OBF
> twitter accounts are doing this via twitterfeed.
>
> Peter

Not to add yet more to the list, but I also think a concise list of
projects using (or 'powered by') bioperl should be front-and-center;
not a lot of users know when/where bioperl is used.  This applies to
the other bio* as well, particularly biopython (seeing it popping up
more and more).

For an example, see the biomart homepage:

http://www.biomart.org/