[Bioperl-l] Stockholm to fasta

shalabh sharma shalabh.sharma7 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:48:39 UTC 2009

Hi All,      I am trying to convert stockholm to fasta format. I am using
"sreformat" for this purpose. I am getting a fasta file but the problem is i
want header information from stockholm in my fasta file.
Like:
# STOCKHOLM 1.0

#=GF AC   RF00003
#=GF ID   U1
#=GF DE   U1 spliceosomal RNA
- - - - - - - - - -  - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - -- -
- - - - - - -- - - - - -
#=GF RL   J Biol Chem 2001;276:21476-21481.
#=GF CC   U1 is a small nuclear RNA (snRNA) component of the spliceosome
#=GF CC   (involved in pre-mRNA splicing). Its 5' end forms complementary
#=GF CC   base pairs with the 5' splice junction, thus defining the 5'
#=GF CC   donor site of an intron.
#=GF CC   There are significant differences in sequence and secondary
#=GF CC   structure between metazoan and yeast U1 snRNAs, the latter being
#=GF CC   much longer (568 nucleotides as compared to 164 nucleotides in
#=GF CC   human). Nevertheless, secondary structure predictions suggest
#=GF CC   that all U1 snRNAs share a 'common core' consisting of helices I,
#=GF CC   II, the proximal region of III, and IV [1].
#=GF CC   This family does not contain the larger yeast sequences.
#=GF SQ   100

X63783.1/2024-2186
UUACUUACCUGGCUGG.AGUUU.GCUA...UCGAUCAU.GAAG.GGUAG.
X63783.1/1394-1556
UUACUUACCUGGCUGG.AGUUA.GCUA...UCGAUCAU.GAAG.GGUAG.
X58845.1/1-161
..ACUUACCUGGCUGG.AGUUU.GCUA...UCGAUCAU.GAAG.GGUAG.
X63783.1/596-756
UAAAUUACAAUGUUGU.AGUUA.GCUA...UAUAUCAA.AAAA.UAUAG.
M29062.1/238-387
UUACUUACCUGGCAUG.AGUUU..CUG...CAGCACAA.GAAU.UGUGG.

As a output i am just getting a fasta file with the headers like
 "X63783.1/2024-2186" but what i want is that it should include some
information like U1 or U1 spliceosomal RNA from the stockholm headers.

I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out.

Thanks
Shalabh