[Bioperl-l] need help urgently

Smithies, Russell Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz
Mon Sep 7 20:26:04 UTC 2009

This example code from the wiki _definitely_ works:
http://bio.perl.org/wiki/HOWTO:Getting_Genomic_Sequences#Using_Bio::DB::EntrezGene_to_get_genomic_coordinates

use strict;
use Bio::DB::EntrezGene;

my $id = shift or die "Id?\n"; # use a Gene id

my $db = new Bio::DB::EntrezGene;
$db->verbose(1); ###

my $seq = $db->get_Seq_by_id($id);

my $ac = $seq->annotation;

for my $ann ($ac->get_Annotations('dblink')) {
	if ($ann->database eq "Evidence Viewer") {
                # get the sequence identifier, the start, and the stop
		my ($contig,$from,$to) = $ann->url =~
		  /contig=([^&]+).+from=(\d+)&to=(\d+)/;
		print "$contig\t$from\t$to\n";
	}
}

So if it doesn't work for you, there are a few things you need to check:
* what version of BioPerl are you using?
* are you behind a firewall?
* are you using a proxy?
* do you need to submit username/password for either of the 2 above
* turn on 'verbose' messages, it may help you debug

If you're still having problems, get back to me and I'll see if I can help.

--Russell

sender immediately.