[Bioperl-l] bioperl invades emacs

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Wed Sep 2 04:19:30 UTC 2009

Hi All,

As part of the Documentation Project, I've written a full-
fledged minor mode for emacs, bioperl-mode. It allows
the user to access BP pod while coding, using keyboard
shortcuts or menus. Pod pops up in a new view buffer,
which it itself active for quick pod searching. You can
get the whole pod, pieces of pod, or even the pod headers
of individual methods.

The best feature (IMHO) is the completion facility. This
not only saves typing, but allows browsing and follow-your-nose
programming (exactly the technique I used to make bioperl-mode,
thanks to the Extensible Self-Documenting Editor).

It's very easy to install, requires only one additional line
in your .emacs file, and directly infects perl-mode
(if you so choose) so its available whenever you
open .pl or .pm files.

For details, screenshots, download and install info,
and soporific design details, see
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Emacs_bioperl-mode

Send me the bugs!
cheers,